Post-Christmas in New Brunswick

I woke up with a sense of urgency to get outside this morning. It had snowed all of the day previous and I looked forward to getting out with my camera! It hadn’t seen this much snow in a long time and wanted to get some quintessential wintertime shots.

Mother Nature is full of surprises. I did not expect what I saw when I pulled back the linen curtains of our bedroom window. A smokey blue haze lay across the landscape. At first I thought it was fine snow or rain clouding my vision of the trees and the neighbouring buildings, but no – it was fog. I’d never seen fog paired with snow before!

Farmhouse in a snowy field with thick fog all around
View from the bedroom window

After a steamy cup of tea and a hot shower, I pulled on my snow boots and threw on my winter coat. I was very excited to experience this uniquely Maritime winter weather!

I was greeted with the salty scent of the sea as I stepped out into the snow. The tide from the Bay of Fundy had withdrawn from the marsh, but left its scent in the air. As I walked along, wood smoke and fir joined the salt of the sea from the nearby homes and forest.

The fog was thick, blanketing the landscape in a shroud of white. The sun was a perfect white sphere, low in the sky over the marsh. Black driftwood and bent reeds lay motionless in the barren, white expanse before me. I could hear a seagull and a chick-a-dee close by, yet no birds could be seen. All was frozen and still in the fog.

I walked along the road carefully, aware of the ice below my feet. I passed the old schoolhouse, it’s blue and white facade blended into the winter landscape. Next was a lonely log cabin with a bent-in gate. At a plateau in the hill was a cozy looking house lit with multicoloured holiday lights. Beyond this was an abandoned looking bungalow and the cemetery.

Small White House back from the road with snow and fir trees all around

Waterside Cemetery

The sun came out just as I approached the site. It illuminated the yellow moss growing on the older stones and the green fir trees that sheltered the stones. The sunshine did not last and soon the fog was as thick as ever!

The cemetery was silent but for the distant sound of the unseen sea and the drip-drip-drip of melting ice off of a tall black tombstone. My boots crunched in the snow with each step, leaving a slushy footprint beneath the melting snow.

Graveyard bordered by fir trees in the fog

My partner Matt came to meet me as I stood clicking away with my camera. His grey shape came into my peripheral vision as he weaved his way between the tombstones. As he approached, he said he had traced my steps through the cemetery “…so not to ruin any photographs” that I’d yet to take of the untouched snow. How considerate!

Matt did not stay long. I was content as could be with the fog and the stones as my subject, so we crossed the road and went back towards the house. Once my camera battery was spent and my iPhone was nearly out of juice, I headed home too.

Old tombstones in a cemetery, one features a finger pointing upward to the sky

Waterside to Moncton

I was greeted with the smell of bacon as I stepped through the front door. Matt’s mother and sister were chatting away in the warm kitchen. I found the living room table laden with all sorts of cheese, crackers, and bread. Matt’s mom warmed up some homemade eggnog for me and we settled down at the table for lunch.

Matt and I packed up our things and had a nap before heading to the airport. The fog did not lift, pursuing us all the way into Moncton! The sunset and soon the city was in darkness but for the neon lights of businesses and the warm glow of street lamps. We said our fair wells and headed home, savouring the scents and sights of New Brunswick as we boarded the plane for Toronto.

Photo of an icy road in the fog and snow